UMD CS Alumnus Mustafa Bilgic receives NSF CAREER Award

Mustafa Bilgic, assistant professor of Computer Science at the Illinois Institute of Technology and University of Maryland alumnus, has received the National Science
Foundation CAREER Award for his proposal entitled “Active Learning through Rich and Transparent Actions.” While at the University of Maryland, Bilgic worked with Lise Getoor. 

Bilgic’s project “Active Learning through Rich and Transparent Actions” focuses on how Active Learning can potentially minimize the costs, time and effort that is involved with annotating machine models.  “I am very happy to have received this award, recognition to do research and teach on a topic that I am extremely compassionate about, which is to make machines more learn more effectively through interacting and communicating with users and experts,” Bilgic said.  “Having received this award, I’m very excited to get started doing the things I proposed to do.”

Read more about Bilgic's work and award here:
http://science.iit.edu/news/2014/apr/25/bilgic-receives-prestigious-nsf-...

Research Areas: 

The Department welcomes comments, suggestions and corrections.  Send email to editor [-at-] cs [dot] umd [dot] edu.