Important announcements related to the course will be posted here. Please check this page daily.
CourseEvalUM is open Dec
1 through Dec 13. Please submit an evaluation for this and all your
- Dec 22 - Final grades have been posted on the grades server.
Enjoy the holidays!
- Dec 14 - I can answer questions today from 3-4pm in AVW 3165.
If people are interested please send me an email.
- Dec 14 - Homework 5 solution posted
- Dec 10 - Project 1b scores now on grades server. All
Project 1b tests made into public tests, for students trying to
fix their simulator before generating results for their report.
- Dec 10 - Removed problem 4 (storage) from homework 5.
New version posted here.
- Dec 7 - Homework 5 posted
here. Due 12/13 at midnight.
- Dec 7 - Project 1b late deadline moved back an
additional day to midnight Tue, 12/8.
- Dec 2 - Project 1c due date moved to Sun 12/13. Project 1b
late deadline moved to Mon, 12/7 (on-time deadline unchanged).
- Dec 2 - Final exam has been scheduled for
Tue 12/15, 8-10am, CSIC 3117 (same room as lecture). It will cover
everything in the course, with more emphasis on recent material.
- Nov 24 - Public tests for Part B of Project 1 are now
available online here.
A new cache.h is provided that fixes
the LOG2 macro. Deadline has been moved back to Fri, Dec 4th.
- Nov 24 - For the 2nd part of project 1, you'll need to
change the definition of the LOG2 macro in cache.h to:
#define LOG2(x) ((int) rint((log((double) (x))) / (log(2.0))))
The previous macro does not work properly for all values (due to
use of truncation instead of rounding). You can also just
download the new cache.h here.
- Nov 24 - Project 1A and Midterm 2 scores are now
available on the grades server. Midterm 2 solution
- Nov 20 - Added to Project 1
an example list of index & tag values for spice100.trace.
- Nov 19 - Submit server is now accepting submissions for Project 1.
- Nov 13 - Homework 4 & quiz 4 scores are now available
on the grades server.
- Nov 11 - Homework 4 solution available here. (Corrections added 5:50pm)
- Nov 6 - Project 1 is now available here.
Submit server will be set up this weekend.
- Nov 4 - Slight update to lectures slides
(lec9) on branch prediction.
- Nov 4 - Homework 3 & quiz 3 scores are now
visible on the grades server.
- Nov 3 - Homework 4 has been
posted on the class web page, along with updates to lectures 9 & 10
and some practice problems.
- Oct 30 - Homework 4 turns out to be somewhat complex. Will
assign it this weekend and explain it in lecture next Tue. Will also
update slides on branch prediction to provide examples.
- Oct 22 - Reminder that Quiz 3 will be this Thu, 10/29, and
will cover ILP topics covered in Homework 3.
- Oct 22 - Midterm 1 scores are now available on
the grades server. Average score was 77/100. Solution
(password protected) is available here.
- Oct 15 - Quiz 1 & 2 solutions posted
- Oct 15 - Homework 3
is now due 10/26 at 5pm. Drop off in my AVW mailbox/office, or
submit PDF to submit server.
- Oct 13 - Homework 3 has been assigned.
- Oct 13 - Midterm 1 scheduled for Tue 10/20.
- Oct 13 - Quiz 2 scores have been posted to grades server.
- Oct 5 - Homework 2 solutions posted
- Oct 1 - Quiz 2 (pipelining) scheduled for Thu, 10/8.
- Oct 1 - Scores for homeworks 1 & 2 have been posted to the grades server.
- Sep 30 - Posted some hints for problem 3 on homework 2 on
the CS Forum for 411.
- Sep 29 - Homework 2 slightly modified
to clarify questions. Number of loop iterations is 99 for problem 1.
Reduced number of answers needed for problem 3.
Example answer provided for problem 3.
- Sep 24 - Quiz 1 scores have been posted on grades server.
- Sep 22 - Quiz 1 (reliability & performance) scheduled for Thu, 9/24.
- Sep 22 - Homework 1 solutions posted. Instructions on
login/password provided here.
- Sep 22 - Homework 2 posted, due 10/1 in class.
- Sep 16 - Problem 1.11 in Homework 1 has been
canceled (too confusing).
Time due for homework changed to 5pm to accomodate
students attending Obama's 11am speech.
Slide your homework under my office
(AVW 4135) door, or put in my AVW mailbox.
- Sep 12 - Homework 1 now due Thursday, 9/17 in class.
- Sep 8 - For homework 1, solve problems 1.9-1.14 in H&P.
Answers are due 9/15 in class.
- Sep 3 - Accounts on the submit & grades servers have been
created for all registered 411 students. You can log in to the grades
server with your UMD directory ID and retrieve your
name and password. Please send tseng@cs an email if you do not have
- Sep 1 Welcome to 411!
|Prof. Chau-Wen Tseng
||After lecture (or by appt.)
||A study of computer architectures.
|| Tuesday and Thursday 9:30-10:45pm
|| J. Hennessy and D. Patterson, Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach (4th Edition), Morgan Kaufmann, 2007
|| Slides courtesy of Alan Sussman, Pete Keleher, et al.