Introduction to Discrete Structures
Administrivia contains links to the syllabus, office hours, and
similar administrative information.
Numeric Grades Posted
Click on Grades
- SOLUTIONS to HW 12 and 13 posted
- SOLUTIONS to Practice Final posted (click on Exams)
- Charles Lin will hold additional office hours Wednesday 11 AM to 1 PM.
He will not hold office hours on Thursday or Friday.
- Brian will hold office hours on Friday to cover Charles (around
- TA office hours end on Tuesday.
- Midterm 2 and Midterm 2 solutions posted
- Solutions to Midterm 1 posted
- Notes on 5-coloring of planar graphs available. Click on Notes link.
- HW 13. Note: the root of the tree can have degree up to k.
The rest of the nodes (having a parent) can have up to
k + 1.
- Sample Final posted. Click on Exams. (Correction: back to
being 12 colorable)
- HW 13 posted (due NEXT MONDAY)
- HW 12 posted.
- HW 11 solutions posted
- HW 10 posted.
- HW 8 and 9 solutions posted.
- Current grades posted. Click on Grades.
- HW 8 now posted.
- Quiz on Monday as usual.
- Exam will be returned on Wednesday.
- April 13 (Friday). Last day to drop course with W.
- REVIEW SESSION TODAY! 5-7 PM at BPS 1243 (we believe this is
correct...this room seats about 100, and should be near BPS 1240, a
very large lecture hall). Larry will answer questions.
- Practice Homework on NIM (Homework 7.5) and solutions
located here. May wish to look over
before the exam.
- REVIEW SESSION
- Tuesday, 5-7 PM (by Larry). BPS 1243 (we think). (If not, check
- Wednesday, 6-8 PM (by Bill). SKN 0200.
- TAs will also review in lab.
- HW 7 is due MONDAY, not WEDNESDAY!
- HW 6 solutions posted. HW 7 should be posted Monday evening.
- Sample Midterm 2 solutions posted. See Exam link.
- HW 7 posted. (Note: Problem 5 requires additional base
cases---you must decide which ones based on proof).
- Midterm 2 will be April 5, from 6-7:30 PM. Room to be announced.
- Sample Midterm 2 ready. Click on Exams link.
- HW 7 to be posted soon. HW 6 solution to be posted soon.
- Corrections made to the two handouts Charles made on March 5 and
March 7. Many errors. Should be mostly fixed. See Notes links
to get new copies.
- Charles will lecture for CMSC 250 on Monday in the usual room
and usual time.
- Midterm 1 posted. See Exam link.
- Regrade requests accepted until next Wednesday in lecture
or lab. You must fill out a sheet. We will return regraded exams
after Spring Break. We reserve the right to regrade the entire
exam (your grade may decrease). Alterations to the exam is
considered an act of academic
dishonesty, and may result in charges brought to Office of Judicial
Programs and an XF for those found responsible for altering official
- Office hours for Charles not held today (Friday). Charles
will hold an additional hour on Tuesday from 3:30-4:30.
- HW 5 posting corrected (the links were incorrect)
- HW 4 solutions posted (send email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you find
- Charles had handouts on Monday, March 5 and Wednesday, March 7.
Click on Notes links to find them.
- New HW5 posted.
- HW4 solution posted soon.
- New HW4 posted.
- Quiz next Monday, as usual (on material from this week).
- Due to various typos and problems with HW 4, a new version
will be handed out during the exam or in class Friday. That
version will be posted soon.
- Link to circuits HW fixed.
- HW 3 solutions posted.
- The "circuits" homework and solution
can be found here. These were handed out in discussion on
Monday. They are not collected, and are there for test preparation.
- Sample Midterm 1 solutions posted. See Exams link above.
- HW 3 solutions will be posted by tomorrow, shortly after
- Correction! Brian's sections should be in Skinner. Charles's
sections in Shoemaker. Skinner can seat at last 100 more than Shoemaker.
The 0101 section for Brian should be in Shoemaker too.
- Correction! Problem 7 should not have the square brackets. The
negation only applies to the first universal quantifier.
- Problem 2 should read "Every animal eats something".
- Q&A session: Monday, 5:30-7:30 JMP 3105 (should seat at least
- Q&A session: Tuesday, 5-6:30 CLB 0102 (should seat many!)
- TAs will also answer exam related questions in lab on Wednesday.
- Material on exam will be up to material covered in class on
last Friday (up to adders). The primary focus will be translations,
proofs, understanding predicates (domains, etc). You are also
responsible for some circuit stuff, especially Wednesday's material,
but even Friday as well. Reviewing your old homeworks may be
useful preparing for the exam.
- Quiz Monday on circuits.
- Grades will be posted sometime after Exam 1 is graded.
- Want to print Postscript files on PCs? Here is a link that
some students have used: Ghosview 6.50
link. Note that you will need to download Ghostscript
6.50 AND gsv36w32.exe (also note that the instructors have not
tried this out--this is however, posted at the University of
Wisconsin's computer science site). Go down to the section that
says "Windows 95, 98 or NT". You should only need to download
the two links: gs650w32.exe and gsv36w32.exe. I assume you
extract the first one (which is Ghostview), followed by
the second (GSView). Again, I've never done this, but for those
who have a laser printer at home/dorm, or just want to view, you can.
- Exam information available in the Exam link above.
- Sample Midterm available in the Exam link.
- Sample Midterm solution available by Tuesday.
- Proof Rules/Equivalence Rules are also in the Exam link. You
may use this as part of your cheat sheet.
- Both sample midterm and proof rule sheet should be (soon)
available outside the TA office in the hanging folder. If not,
send email to: email@example.com.
- HW 2 solution to be posted soon.
- HW 3 solution will be handed out in discussion on Wednesday.
- Office hours now posted. Click here.
- Report any problems with links to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Charles)
- Ah. Valentine's Day.
- Homework 1 solution posted (click Homework link above).
- HW 2 posted.
- Want to practice proofs? Do HW 1.5 (which is not to be
collected). It's here.
- HW 1 posted (click on Homework above). Here's
how to print homeworks.
- Quiz Monday!
- Webpage is up! (Sorta)
- Quiz today!
Problems? Send email to Charles
or webmaster Bill
Back to the CMSC Class