CMSC132 Midterm #1
Date: Wednesday, Feb 28, 2007
Time/Location: Your exam will
take place in lecture (NOT IN LAB).
- The exam will have a duration of 50 minutes.
- The exam will be closed book/closed notebooks. No calculators are
allowed. (We recommend using a pencil and eraser, rather than a
- Short answer questions: This includes for example,
multiple choice, True/False and fill-in-the-blank type
- Code analysis questions: We will give a short segment of code
and you may be asked to identify syntax and logical errors, generate
code output, etc.
- Code Writing: Write a program/code snippets to solve a
few given problems. (You should be prepared to give a complete
program, including full class heading, import, package statement,
and main methods, but we may also ask you to provide just a single
method or a code fragment.)
The exam will include all the material covered in discussion session (lab),
lecture, quizzes, and projects including the following topics:
- Object-Oriented Programming Principles (Abstraction, Encapsulation,
- Generics (be prepared to define generic classes)
- Algorithm Complexity
- Linear Data Structures (linked lists, stacks, queues, etc.)
- Sets, Maps
- Specific Java Topics
- Definition and use of classes in inheritance relationships
- Defiinition and use of Java Interfaces
- Comparable Interface
- Comparator classes
- Collections class methods (those used for the projects)
- Enhanced for loop
- Enumerated types
- Autoboxing and Unboxing
- Exceptions Fundamentals
- Visibility Modifiers
- Method Overloading/Overriding
- Inner Classes
- I/O Streams
- Program Testing - JUnit testing
The exam will NOT cover the following topics::
- Eclipse, Trees, Heaps, Compression & Huffman Trees
Readings From Koffman/Wolfgang
You are not responsible for material from Koffman/Wolfgang that has not been
discussed in lecture and or lab, but it is a good idea to review this material
and the exercises in the back of each chapter, since this will provide you with
a more complete understanding of the material.
- Practice Questions
- Old Exams (Note: Keep
in mind that the material covered by the exams may not be the same material
we are covering this semester)
- Practice Problems
- From Koffman/Wolfgang
- Chapter 2
- Page 118, Exercise 1. of "Exercises for Section 2.8"
- Page 122, Question 9. of "Review Questions"
- Chapter 4
- Page 209, Problem 1. and 2. of "Exercises for Section 4.3"
- Page 221, Problems 3. and 4. of "Exercises for Section 4.4"
- Page 250, Problem 1. of "Exercises for Section 4.8"
- Chapter 6
- Page 313, Exercise 2. of "Exercises for Section 6.2"
- Chapter 7
- Page 355-356, Exercises 1. and 2. of "Exercises for Section
7.1" (PROGRAMMING Section)
- Page 371, Exercises 1. and 2. of "Exercises for Section
7.3" (PROGRAMMING Section)
- Page 376-377, Exercises 1., 2., 3. and 4. of "Exercises for
Section 7.4" (PROGRAMMING Section)
- Chapter 9
- Page 467, Exercises 2. and 3. of "Exercises for Section
9.1" (SELF-CHECK Section)
- Page 511, Exercises 1. and 2. of "Review Questions"