This course presents an introduction to the techniques for designing efficient computer algorithms and analyzing their running times. General topics include asymptotics, solving summations and recurrences, algorithm design techniques, analysis of data structures, and introduction to NP-completeness.
- Clyde Kruskal, office hour: MWF: 11:00am – 12:00pm
- Teaching Assistant:
- Kan-Leung Cheng, office hour: TuTh 11:00am - 12:30pm @ AVW 1112
- Class Time & Venue:
- Section 0101 MTuWThF 9:30am - 10:55am @ CSI 2107
- Thomas Cormen, Charles Leiserson, Ron Rivest, and Clifford Stein, Introduction to Algorithms, McGraw Hill and MIT Press. Any edition.
- We will be using Piazza for announcements and discussions:
- The system is highly catered to getting you help fast and efficiently from classmates, the TA, and the instructor. (If you have any problems or feedback for the developers, email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Please register yourself and join our class on https://piazza.com/umd/summer2013/cmsc351/home.
- Rather than emailing questions to the teaching staff, we encourage you to post your questions and help your classmates on Piazza. When the questions are answered on Piazza, they are answered for everybody who have the same questions.
- Please do not post any homework solution and ask if it is correct. If in doubt, ask private question (only instructor and TA can see) on piazza or come during office hours.
- hwk1: due on Friday, 5/31.
- hwk2: due on Wednesday, 6/5
- hwk3: due on Friday, 6/7
- hwk4: due on Wednesday, 6/12
- hwk5: due on Friday, 6/14
- hwk6: due on Friday, 6/21
- hwk7: due on Wednesday, 6/26
- hwk8: due on Friday, 6/28