I’m a computer science PhD student at the University of Maryland, in the Cybersecurity Center (MC2) and programming language lab (PLUM). I study distributed systems, programming languages, and cryptography. I’m especially interested in secure p2p networks, like Bitcoin. My advisors are Jonathan Katz, Elaine Shi, and Michael Hicks.
Computer Security Research
Cryptography and Programming Languages:
- Authenticated Data Structures, Generically. Andrew Miller, Michael Hicks, Jonathan Katz, Elaine Shi. ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL). January, 2014. (project webpage)
Bitcoin and cryptocurrency:
- Non-outsourceable Scratch-Off Puzzles to Discourage Bitcoin Mining Coalitions. Andrew Miller, Elaine Shi, and Jonathan Katz. ONLINE PREPRINT. June 2014.
- From Onions to Shallots: Rewarding Tor Relays with TEARS. Rob Jansen, Andrew Miller, Paul Syverson, and Bryan Ford. To appear, HotPETs 2014.
- Futurecoin: a decentralized prediction market. Joseph Bonneau, Jeremy Clark, Edward Felten, Joshua Kroll, Andrew Miller and Arvind Narayanan. To appear, WEIS 2014. June 2014.
- FawkesCoin: Bitcoin without public-key crypto (Preliminary version). Joseph Bonneau and Andrew Miller. 19th International Workshop on Security Protocols. Cambridge, UK, Mar 21 2014.
- Permacoin: Repurposing Bitcoin Work for Long-Term Data Preservation. Andrew Miller, Ari Juels, Elaine Shi, Bryan Parno, Jonathan Katz. To appear, Oakland 2014. May 2014.
- Mixcoin: Anonymity for Bitcoin with accountable mixes. Arvind Narayanan, Joseph Bonneau, Andrew Miller, Jeremy Clark, Joshua Kroll. Financial Cryptography and Data Security. March 2014.
- Anonymous Byzantine Consensus from Moderately-Hard Puzzles: A Model for Bitcoin. Andrew Miller and Joseph J. LaViola Jr. University of Central Florida. Tech Report, CS-TR-14-01. April, 2014.
Forum posts on Bitcointalk:
- Feather-forks: enforcing a blacklist with sub-50% hash power
- Storing UTXOs in a Balanced Merkle Tree (zero-trust nodes with O(1)-storage)
- an explanation of TierNolan's atomic cross transaction technique
- Bitcoin as Lottery, Prospect Theory, and Unprofitable Mining
- Bitcoin Theory (Byzantine Generals and Beyond)
- A Non-Outsourceable puzzle to prevent hosted mining
Cooauthored blogpost with Arvind Narayanan:
- Panel at Princeton Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Research Conference on "Building collaborations between Bitcoin developers and researchers"
- Permacoin @ Silicon Valley Ethereum Meetup (youtube)
(masters degree in computer science @ University of Central Florida)
- (Short Paper) The Effectiveness of an AR-based Context-Aware Assembly Support System in Object Assembly. Bui Minh Kuong, Kiyoshi Kiyokawa, Andrew Miller, Joseph J. LaViola Jr., Tomohiro Mashita, and Haruo Takemura. IEEE Virtual Reailty 2014.
- Interactive 3D Model Acquisition and Tracking of Building Block Structures. Andrew Miller, Brandyn White, Emiko Charbonneau, Zach Kanzler, Joseph J. LaViola Jr., IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, and IEEE Virtual Reality. March 2012 (project website) (on github).
- Teach Me to Dance: Exploring Player Experience and Performance in Full Body Dance Games. Emiko Charbonneau, Andrew Miller, Joseph J. LaViola Jr. ACM Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology 2011. (ACE ‘11) (best paper award)
- VizWiz: Nearly Real-time Answers to Visual Questions. Bigham, Jayant, Li, Little, Miller, Miller, Miller, Tatarowicz, White, White, and Yeh. ACM International Cross Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility, 2010. (best paper award)
- A Vision-Based System for a UGV to Handle a Road Intersection. Javed Ahmed, Andrew Miller, Mubarak Shah, and Don Harper. AAAI 2009.
- Landing a UAV on a Runway using Image Registration. Andrew Miller, Mubarak Shah, and Don Harper. ICRA 2008.
- Foreground Segmentation in Surveillance Scenes Containing a Door. Andrew Miller and Mubarak Shah. IEEE Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME). Beijing, July 2007
Stickwheel - a completely practical, yet unusual, 1-wheeled electric vehicle. In comparison, a Segway has 50% wasteful excess. (youtube video)
Contact, references, links
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- personal twitter (usually relevant) Follow @socrates1024
- personal webpage http://soc1024.com/
- cv (google doc)
- I also do computer vision consulting work With Dapper Vision Inc., including OpenShades (tools for google glass)
In the press:
- U. researchers develop Bitcoin prediction market Article in the Daily Princetonian, Jan 5 2014
- quoted saying nothing important in this article from Monitor Frontier Markets
- Computer Science Department PhD Candidates Brandyn White and Andrew Miller are making it easier to program Google Glass with WearScript