Textbooks and Suggested Readings:
Useful textbooks and general references include:
It may also be helpful to check out my lecture notes from CMSC 456.
- [DK] H. Delfs and H. Knebl: Introduction to Cryptography.
- [BR] M. Bellare and P. Rogaway: Lecture Notes for an undergraduate course at UCSD.
- [G] O. Goldreich: Foundations of Cryptography, volumes 1 and 2. These are the best references available for those wishing to learn more about theoretical cryptography.
- [GB] S. Goldwasser and M. Bellare: Lecture Notes on Cryptography.
- [MvOV] A.J. Menezes, P.C. van Ooorschot, and S.A. Vanstone: Handbook of Applied Cryptography. Comprehensive reference of practical aspects of cryptography.
Some excellent references for computational number theory and applied algebra include:
The following list contains papers referenced in class, or covering material related to the lectures.
Two excellent resources for searching for on-line versions of papers include: the DBLP bibliography and CiteSeer
- [Ch] L.N. Childs: A Concrete Introduction to Higher Algebra. An accessible reference to algebra and number theory, with many cryptographic applications.
- [DH76] W. Diffie and M. Hellman. New Directions in Cryptography. IEEE Trans. Info. Theory 22(6): 644-654 (1976).
- [GGM84] O. Goldreich, S. Goldwasser, and S. Micali. How to Construct Random Functions. JACM 33(4): 792-807 (1986).
- [GGM84b] O. Goldreich, S. Goldwasser, and S. Micali. On the Cryptographic Applications of Random Functions. Crypto '84.
- [GL89] O. Goldreich and L. Levin. A Hard-Core Predictate for all One-Way Functions. STOC '89. (Original paper available here.)
- [GM84] S. Goldwasser and S. Micali. Probabilistic Encryption. JCSS 28(2): 270-299 (1984).
- [GMR84] S. Goldwasser, S. Micali, and R.L. Rivest. A Digital Signature Scheme Secure Against Adaptive Chosen-Message Attacks. Siam J. Computing 17(2): 281-308 (1988).
- [Rabin79] M.O. Rabin. Digitalized Signatures and Public Key Functions as Intractable as Factorization. MIT/LCS/TR-212, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, 1979.
- [RSA78] R.L. Rivest, A. Shamir, and L.M. Adleman. A Method for Obtaining Digital Signatures and Public-Key Cryptosystems. Comm. ACM 21(2): 120-126 (1978).