RE: JavaMemoryModel: final isn't used much in the JDK, even when it could

From: David Holmes (dholmes@ics.mq.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 18:34:26 EDT

> 790 are marked as final
>
> For the fields not marked as final but that could be,
> there are modified in constructors but nowhere else
> (although I didn't check native code).

FYI, at least two fields marked as final (System.out and System.err) are
actually changed by native code. This is a known bug, but I don't think it
has been addressed.

I second Paul's comments about the lack of use of final - the compilers
have been far too buggy to use final seriously/properly. I doubt that there
is much motivation (or available resource) within Javasoft to go back
through and fix this, especially when considering backward compatibility
with old VM's.

David