Re: JavaMemoryModel: A memory model for the masses

From: Doug Lea (dl@altair.cs.oswego.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 19:07:25 EST

> One point to make is that we aren't planning to actually break some
> of these idioms outside the box (e.g., the single check idiom). I am
> just suggesting that we say they are outside the box, no guarantees
> will be made, and encourage people to get inside the box.

I'm a little confused here. Which of the following do you mean:
  1. You believe that the LC approach needs to be somehow patched to avoid the
      unexpected single-check getValue behavior?
  2. You believe that it is good enough for now that no one has yet
      built a machine that actually exploits the model agressively
      enough to produce this behavior?

(Or something else?)

-Doug