JavaMemoryModel: Update on Java Memory Model

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 22:01:52 EST

A couple of notes.

JLS, 2nd edition

First, for those who haven't heard, a draft of the 2nd edition of the
JLS is available for public review and feedback:

http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/maintenance/JLS/index.html

You need to send in any responses by April 5th.

The chapter on Threads and the Java Memory Model is completely
unchanged. Although I have recommended several times that the JLS 2nd
edition include a warning for the Threads/JMM chapter that "This is
all likely to change", Tim Lindholm and Gilad Bracha have
consistently resisted this idea, and I understand their reasoning.

I've going to be sending out a couple of notes on different aspects
what we might propose in a revised memory model.