Re: JavaMemoryModel: Semantics of finalize

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 17:00:52 EST

At 4:19 PM -0500 3/22/00, David F. Bacon wrote:
>however, at some future time i might want to implement this with page-level or
>cache-line level synchronizations so that only that portion of the memory
>holding the inc/dec operations is communicated. in that scenario the consumer
>might discover an object to be garbage (because it sees the dec operation)
>before it sees all the updates to the data fields.

My intention is that even under such an aggressive scheme,

        * No cost would be paid unless you are using objects with
          finalize methods
        * The cost for objects with finalize methods would be primarily:
                - longer latency before finalize is invoked
                - occasional need for global synchronization
          with the ability to trade off between these two points.

Do you think my proposed semantics for finalize would have effects
other than those mentioned above?