Re: JavaMemoryModel: init methods

From: Jerry Schwarz (jschwarz@us.oracle.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 15:10:59 EDT

One important place where this idiom is used that hasn't been mentioned is deserialization. I
mention it because it has very different properties than the framework examples. In particular it
can be used on classes that do not have zero-arg constructors. This can be done because the
construction of the instance is performed in native code. I think it ought to be the responsibility
of ObjectInputStream to ensure that objects it returns can be used in threads, but I've never seen
any discussion of that question.