Re: JavaMemoryModel: New approach to defining the Java Memory Model

From: Cliff Click (cliff.click@sun.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 23:14:31 EDT

Sarita Adve wrote:
> Can you give an example? If the compiler can reason that it won't
> generate all possible execution traces, then it has to have some
> explicit model of what it can generate that is independent of the model.

Please take care that you don't ask me (the compiler writer) to
define what my current or future memory models will be. What I have
now is surely inaccurate, and what I do in the future will be some
subset of all possibilities and will surely mutate over time.

Cliff

--
Dr. Cliff Click      Chief Architect, HotSpot Server  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Cliff.Click@Sun.COM  Senior Staff Engineer            4150 Network Circle