JavaMemoryModel: tiny detail: intra-thread semantics or unithread semantics

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 17:36:38 EDT

We had been using the term unithread semantics to indicate that the
actions of each thread in isolation must behave as governed by the
semantics of that thread, with the exception that the values seen by
each read are determined by the memory model.

We are trying to decide if unithread or intra-thread is a better term for this.

The advantage of intra-thread is that it may more clearly denote that
we are talking about the internal behavior of a thread operating in a
context of multiple threads, while I worry that unithread semantics
may sound like something that is only defined for single threaded
programs.