RE: JavaMemoryModel: Thread model algorithm.

From: Sylvia Else (sylviae@optushome.com.au)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 16:56:20 EST

At 09:06 AM 18/11/2003 +1300, Evan Ireland wrote:
>Sylvia,
>
>Is there any interpretation of the current model in which
>"lost notifications" are inherent, other than when both an
>interrupt and a notify/timeout occur around the same time?

I'm not sure what you mean here by the "current model". As specified in the
JDK1.4.2 API, I cannot see that lost notifications are permitted. The
JSR133 model is not finalised on this matter, but I don't think anyone's
suggesting that it should permit lost notifications. Indeed, it's the need
to avoid lost notifications that seems to be the source of the spurious
notifications that the proposed model will allow.

On which subject, I've noticed that my code doesn't test for the interrupt
flag being set on entry to waitEx(). This is an omission, not an intended
change of spec. It's easy enough to fix, (in ThreadEx.addToWaitSet), but I
don't have the time right now.

Sylvia.