Re: JavaMemoryModel: Reconsidering spurious wakeups

From: Martin Trotter (martin_trotter@uk.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 04:50:16 EST

The problem in general is not that JVMs generate these spurious wakeups but
that they don't attempt to isolate the Java code from spurious wakeups
generated by the OS. In essence what's being proposed is a new layer of
function on top of the OS facilities (eg pthread_cond_wait) which detect
and correct the spurious wakeup case. In general this is going to cost
performance and include some tricky design issues. I will continue to
check with other folks but my feeling is that we should allow spurious
wakeups.

Martin Trotter