Re: JavaMemoryModel: Reconsidering spurious wakeups

From: Sylvia Else (sylviae@optushome.com.au)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 14:49:31 EST

At 10:17 AM 27/11/2003 +0000, Martin Trotter wrote:
> >>The performance lost will be regained (in a matter of days?) by the
>operation of Moore's law.
>
>Sadly the Moores law argument is spurious ! The law involved is Darwins
>and VM implementors are acutely aware that throwing away performance for
>any reason will be punished severely by natural selection in the
>marketplace.

It is true that Darwin will always reign supreme, but what is being
proposed here is essentially a change of the environment for everyone. The
Darwinian test would be whether a JVM is the best possible within the
applied constraints.

Or are we talking about competition between Java and other technologies here?

Sylvia.