RE: JavaMemoryModel: Finalization idioms

From: Boehm, Hans (hans.boehm@hp.com)
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 20:37:17 EDT

Do you even get that far? If I'm implementing
a library, which requires finalization, I don't really have anyplace
to sprinkle the "process_weak_refs_if_necessary" calls. I presumably
solve this problem by having the library create a thread which
performs those calls. This puts me back in the same position as
with finalizers: I've introduced concurrency, where there might
not have been any before.

I do think that java.lang.ref makes some things easier. They
kind of give you ordered finalization in a way that encourages
the programmer to avoid cycles and unnecessary long chains.
And if we had a single-threaded language, they might be the best
you can do. But I don't think they address the problems we were
discussing.

Hans