I finished my Ph.D. study in August 2006.
After spending 8 years at AT&T Labs Research,
I am currently with the Infrastructure team in Two Sigma
I am broadly interested in computer networks, cloud computing, large-scale
systems, wireless networks, and mobile computing.
Here are my
and curriculum vitae.
The following is a list of specific areas that I have recently worked on.
- Content Delivery
A large fraction of today's Internet traffic is due to dissemination of various
contents (e.g., videos).
I have worked on a wide range of aspects in content delivery systems such as
optimal content placement, efficient request routing, and efficient
peer-to-peer media streaming.
- Cloud Computing
I recently worked on network design for cloud infrastructure, where I designed,
implemented, and deployed high-throughput multicast capability, which is
essential to the delivery of high-rate financial data, but is not supported in
I also have worked on intelligent orchestration of cloud and network
infrastructure via load balancing, resource allocation, and live VM-migration.
- Core Networks
I have worked on topology and service path inference for wireless cellular
services running on overlays of multiple wide-area networks. The work has become the
foundation of a tool used by various cellular service operations groups in AT&T
to identify relevant paths for service issue troubleshooting. I am also
working on how to utilize SDN (software defined networking) approaches
in wide-area network services.
- Wireless Networks
My work in this area spans from wireless link layer to wireless routing.
I have performed a detailed study of bit errors in the IEEE 802.11 link layer
and proposed an efficient error recovery scheme based on the findings.
I also have proposed efficient routing schemes and virtual routing
backbone construction schemes in multi-hop settings.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Maryland, College
(Advisor: Dr. Bobby Bhattacharjee)
- M.S. in Computer Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea (2000)
- B.S. in Computer Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea (1996)
| Conference Technical Program Committee Member
- IEEE Infocom 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- International Teletraffic Congress (ITC) 2013
- IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP) 2012
- IFIP Networking 2012
- IEEE LANMAN Workshop 2010, 2011
- IEEE SECON (Conference on Sensor, Mesh, and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks) 2008
- Content Placement
U.S. Patent #8,856,846 issued 10/7/2014
D. Applegate, A. Archer, V. Gopalakrishnan, Seungjoon Lee, K. K. Ramakrishnan
- Internet Protocol Version 6 Content Routing
U.S. Patent #8,856,281 issued 10/7/2014
Jacobus Van der Merwe, Seungjoon Lee, Oliver Spatscheck
- Multi-Autonomous System Anycast Content Delivery Network
U.S. Patent #8,607,014 issued 12/10/2013
Oliver Spatscheck, Zakaria Al-Qudah, Seungjoon Lee, Michael Rabinovich, Jacobus Van der Merwe
- Anycast Transport Protocol for Content Distribution Networks
U.S. Patent #8,560,597 issued 10/15/2013
Oliver Spatscheck, Seungjoon Lee, Michael Rabinovich, Jacobus Van der Merwe
- Methods And Apparatus To Configure Virtual Private Mobile Networks
U.S. Patent #8,509,169 issued 08/13/2013
Jacobus Van Der Merwe, Deepak K. Chawla, Gustavo de los Reyes, Seungjoon Lee
- Mitigating low-rate denial-of-service attacks in packet-switched networks
U.S. Patent #8,443,444 issued 05/14/2013
Jia Wang, Chia-Wei Chang, Seungjoon Lee, Bill Lin
- Multi-path Load Balancing Using Route Controller
U.S. Patent #8,175,006 issued 05/08/2012
Seungjoon Lee, Jacobus Van Der Merwe
- Method For Encoding Frame Data
U.S. Patent #7,940,850 issued 05/10/2011
Lusheng Ji, Samrat Bhattacharjee, Bo Han, Seungjoon Lee, Robert R. Miller
- Broadcast Latency Optimization In Multihop Wireless Networks
U.S. Patent #7,903,653 issued 03/08/2011
Seungjoon Lee, Rajiv Gandhi, Yoo-ah Kim
- Method And Apparatus For Scheduling Data Packet Transmission Over A Multihop Wireless Backhaul Network
U.S. Patent #7,366,178 issued 04/29/2008
Seungjoon Lee, Girija Narlikar, Gordon Wilfong, Lisa Zhang
Other (Older) Information