The Assistant Director of Operations and Finance provides support of the Department of Computer Science’s operations in several key areas including department and foundation accounts management, payroll, inventory, and space management. Account management duties include managing the department’s state, DRIF, summer/winter and differential tuition accounts as well as the department’s foundation accounts in the University of Maryland College Park Foundation and the University System of Maryland Foundation, and preparing reports for key stakeholders. This position will manage the department’s payroll process. This position will also manage the inventory processes and procedures in the department and work with the Director of Operations and Finance on the department’s spaces management. The Assistant Director of Operations and Finance will supervise two Coordinators and will serve as the backup for the Assistant Director of Research and Finance and the Director in her absence. Must prioritize competing demands, make independent decisions, and maintain a warm and helpful attitude while managing the smooth operation of a service-oriented office.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution is required.
- Five years of progressively responsible work experience in a related financial position.
- Work experience must include general business administration and accounting including budgeting, reconciling and projecting accounts.
- Minimum of three years of supervisory experience managing at least a staff of two employees.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in budget theory and practice, reporting, cost allocation methodology and concepts, purchasing, and business and financial management
- Working knowledge of university software tools and/or systems such as Kuali Research, KFS, BA4 (Priority), Concur, PHR and others
- Ability to communicate and interact with diverse constituencies, including faculty, staff, students and administrators in units across campus
- Must possess strong attention to details and an ability to execute multiple assignments under specific time constraints while being able to work well under pressure
- Strong computer skills required including Microsoft Office and Google suite
- Ability to function effectively as part of a team to create professional and accurate reports for various user groups
- Uses sound judgement when dealing with confidential and/or sensitive information
- Must be self-motivated with a willingness to take initiative
- Possess a willingness to pitch in where needed to support the department’s faculty, staff and students
- Must make customer service a priority
- Master’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- Work experience within an educational environment ideally acquired at UMCP or within the University of Maryland System strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of federal grant compliance and award management guidelines including the Uniform Guidance
- Experience with proposal submission systems including Research.gov and Grants.gov
- Completion of specialized training/certification in research administration such as the University of Maryland’s Research Administration Certification Program or a similar program and/or membership in a professional organization such as NCURA strongly preferred