JavaMemoryModel: Introductions...

From: William Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 20:01:00 EDT

OK. At the moment, I'm the only person who has posted to the mailing
list. Time to change that...

How about introductions? Unless you are planning to just lurk on the
list, please give a short introduction for yourself. That way, if I
need to consult with someone who understands processor memory models,
I'll have some ideas about who to talk to. I know some of the people
who have subscribed to the list, but not all.

For myself, I'm an associate professor at the University of Maryland,
College Park. I've worked in a lot of different areas over the years,
generally dealing with algorithms, data structures, compilers and
run-time systems. I "discovered" the impact of Coherence in the
existing JMM on compiler optimizations, and derived a proof that even
in the absence of volatile variables and synchronization, the
existing JMM is stronger than Coherence. These results were written
up in my Java Grande paper. I've been talking with a number of people
about these and related issues since OOPSLA98.

        Bill Pugh