Re: JavaMemoryModel: Idiom for safe, unsynchronized reads

From: Raymie Stata (stata@pa.dec.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 01:22:00 EDT

The following statement of mine is very misleading:

> It seems to me that this conversation would be more efficient if we
> could agree to the following:
>
> Version (B) is simpler to understand than Version (A). Version (A)
> is preferable because it's faster. More generally, "synchronized
> access to all shared variables" is a simpler principle by which to
> program than trying to selectively apply idioms for unsynchronized
> access. The attraction of a tighter memory specification is _not_
> to prevent the "unwashed masses" from introducing race errors but
> rather to allow programs to run faster by removing unneeded
> synchronizations.
>
> In what way do you disagree with this statement?

This is not _my_ position -- this is a position I'm arguing against. But
this is what I think is the position of Josh and others defending the
stronger JMM semantics. I was hoping to clarify that that the primary
motivation for the stronger semantics is not avoidance of programming
errors but rather performance improvements.