JavaMemoryModel: Lowering the stakes in this discussion

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 12:06:07 EDT

We've been having some useful and productive discussions about
whether or not Java should guarantee initialization safety. Great.

But if it turns out that guaranteeing initialization safety has a
substantial negative performance impact for some Java licenses, there
is no way the final decision is going to made on this mailing list:
it will probably have to go through a formal JSR process (as painful
as that will be).

So what we should be doing here is trying to put together a good
description of the options and their consequences, and make sure we
understand each other's viewpoints, even if we disagree with them.

Expending energy and bits trying to convince others to change their
viewpoints probably isn't worth it at this point.

Bill Pugh

By the way, I'm going to see about getting a digested version of this
list set up for people who don't want to follow the blow-by-blow.