JavaMemoryModel: Stuff on Pentium memory barriers

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 15:07:26 EDT

There was a lot of stuff in the linux kernel digest
a while about about data races in the linux kernal,
the memory model for pentiums, and what instructions
are needed on the pentium to force a memory barrier.

Search Pentium "lock prefix" "memory barrier" at google.
http://www.google.com/search?q=pentium+%22lock+prefix%22+%22memory+barrier%22

I still don't feel that I have a definitive understanding
of the issues for pentiums; the people on the linux
mailing list didn't seem to come up with a definitive
answer. I'm just amazed that Intel can get away without
providing clear instructions on how to do a memory barrier.