Re: JavaMemoryModel: fusing synch blocks

From: Doug Lea (dl@cs.oswego.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 12:44:51 EST

> "loop unrollings should be allowed to fuse
> unrolled segments" looks like it contradicts Rule 2.

Well, if you squint at the rule from the right direction, it doesn't
apply to unrollings since no segment is fused with "itself". Instead,
one part is fused with something that just so happens to look the
same.

I admit that the freedom to abuse such interpretations in any way we
like probably reveals a weakness in how I phrased the rule. Any ideas
for improvements would be appreciated.

-Doug