Re: JavaMemoryModel: Issue with final fields

From: Eliot Moss (moss@cs.umass.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 16:34:36 EST

>> Eliot Moss Writes:
>>
>> (Just like the fact that my concurrent collector may do something
>> bad to programs with data races on non-volatile fields doesn't
>> bother -- people who code things like that deserve nasty results.)

    Jeremy> As long as the end result is type-safe and
    Jeremy> "not-out-of-thin-air". I had gotten the sense from your
    Jeremy> previous message that at worst your GC will provide a stale
    Jeremy> (but legitimate) value, right?

Yes, with the possible exception of values that cannot be written with a
single write, which might apply to longs on some hardware architectures,
etc. I believe that all popular machines can write all Java primitive types
in a single write, avoiding such splitting. Anyone know anything to the
contrary, or prepared to speak to this question more authoritatively?

-- Eliot