RE: JavaMemoryModel: Another Java threading issue (finalization)

From: Paul Jakubik (pauljakubik@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 18:18:50 EST

My understanding of what has been proposed in this thread is
that the developer should do the following:

   If your class has a finalizer you must synchronize any
   potential last-method-call and the finalizer.

If I understand this correctly, this sounds like bad news for
library developers. It would mean that every method and the
finalizer should be synchronized (at least every public
method). The library would be made significantly slower in
hopes of allowing an optimization to make the library a little
faster.

Am I missing something? If my interpretation is right, are
there alternatives that would make the developer's life easier?

--Paul