RE: JavaMemoryModel: Java Class initialization can deadlock?

From: Boehm, Hans (hans_boehm@hp.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 18:33:10 EST

That's interesting. The relevant guarantee they provide is

2. Type initialization alone shall not create a deadlock unless some code called from a type initializer (directly or indirectly) explicitly invokes blocking operations.

This suggests that the definition of "waiting for" in 2.2.1 considers only chains in which each thread is trying to acquire an initialization lock held by another thread. Waiting on other locks or events appears not to be considered. Thus the deadlock detection algorithm appears to be one step stronger than the Java one, but the approach is otherwise the same.

This gets around Bill's example. It may be better, but I'm not sure how helpful it really is. The above guarantee isn't that meaningful until you specify which library functions are "blocking operations". Since Java string concatenation can use StringBuffer operations which may be synchronized, is it a blocking operation?

Hans