JavaMemoryModel: Announce: Bug pattern detector for Java

From: David Hovemeyer (daveho@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 17:22:27 EDT

Hello everyone,

Bill Pugh and I have been working on a tool to find bugs in Java
programs. Today we are releasing the first public version of the
tool; you can download it from

  http://www.cs.umd.edu/~pugh/java/bugs/

The tool checks for many kinds of common Java coding mistakes,
including some synchronization related issues that might be of interest
to people on the JMM list.

The tool is written in Java and should work on any 1.4-compatible VM.

It should be considered pre-alpha quality. If you're interested
in trying it out, we'd like to get your feedback. You can send your
comments to me, or to a mailing list we've set up:

  findbugs-discuss@cs.umd.edu

-Dave