Re: JavaMemoryModel: A problematical case for finalizers

From: Joshua Bloch (joshua.bloch@sun.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 16:11:04 EDT

Jerry,

   This code probably hasn't been touched since 1.0, when volatile was a
no-op. Finding concurrency problems in JDK source code is like shooting
fish in a barrel. You will lots of doublecheck idiom in my 1.2 -era (~
'97) source code.

   The general consensus is that we need to take a pass over all this
source code once we iron out the details of what's right and what's
wrong. Of course we may not have the resources to do this in time for
Tiger :(

             Josh