Re: JavaMemoryModel: Why CnC

From: Joshua Bloch (joshua.bloch@sun.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 12:14:43 EDT

Victor.Luchangco@Sun.COM wrote:

>Would it be possible to propose two models, one "for programmers" and
>the other "for implementors"?

It is far too late to be considering such things. All JSRs that have
any hope of getting into Tiger should be converging *now*. Expert
groups working on these JSRs should now consider convergence to be of
paramount importance, and should--even more than ususal--be willing to
sacrifice secondary goals to get their specs out the door. It doesn't
matter how good a spec is if it misses the train.

This is not to say that we should sacrifice quality, but that we should
be well attuned to what is good enough.

             Josh