Re: JavaMemoryModel: Thread model algorithm.

From: Doug Lea (dl@cs.oswego.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 09:14:35 EST

Now I remember this impass...

Part of the reason Sylvia's approach works as stated is that it
returns normally vs throwing InterruptedException even when the thread
is interrupted, but the interrupt occurred after the notification. I
think programmers prefer to know about interrupts as soon as
possible. On the other hand, I don't recall ever canvassing developers
about the issue. So I sent out the following to the JSR166 interest
list (which mainly consists of developers) about the
java.util.concurrent version, (I didn't cross-post just to avoid the
chaos this usually leads to.) It would be very helpful to find
compelling reasons for adopting one or the other policy.

While I'm at it, here's my main reason, which might not be compelling
enough to upset Sylvia's story: I first noticed the issue in programs
with lots of threads that could sometimes all be woken up via
notifyAll and also sometimes all be interrupted for the purpose of
cancellation. It sometimes takes a very long time for some of these
threads to reacquire the lock after being notified (because they are
so many of them), during which time they might be interrupted. Yet if
wait() returns normally when threads are interrupted after being
notified, the threads don't realize they've been interrupted, which
means that cancellation doesn't take effect until the next interrupt
check point (usually a subsequent wait()). While I could workaround
this by rechecking Thread.interrupted() upon return from wait(), the
fact that I would always want to do this made me conclude that wait()
should do it itself, especially since I've never written any code
where I needed to be able to tell whether an interrupted thread was
woken up by a notify before an interrupt occurred.