RE: JavaMemoryModel: finalization review

From: Boehm, Hans (hans_boehm@hp.com)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 18:53:23 EST

I don't think this hidden field would ever have to be implemented.
I think a safe and naive implementation would be to implement it as
overwriting the method table pointer with itself, with the write treated
as volatile, and a volatile read used to look up the finalize
entry in the method table when the finalizer is invoked.

But I think if the collector ever stops the mutator, it suffices to make
sure that the compiler keeps around the object pointer through the
System.reachable (or whatever) call. If the mutator is stopped before the
call, the object won't be finalized this cycle. If the mutator is stopped
after the call, the action of stopping the thread and communicating with
the finalizer will ensure visibility.

In terms of performance, this is a pure win, at least as far as I can see.
The down side is the addition of a relatively esoteric construct in support
of another one that is (or at least should be) already rarely used.

As far as the name is concerned, I'm not sure I like unmovableReference,
since the ordering constraints are really equivalent to those of a volatile
write, and this name suggests a read with more of a generic barrier, not
simply release semantics. doNotFinalizeYet() is OK, so long as we agree
that java.lang.ref is basically finalization.

Hans