Re: JavaMemoryModel: Way forward on JSR-133

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 23:23:30 EST

At 12:16 PM -0800 1/14/04, Joseph Bowbeer wrote:
>I really like the simplicity of SC- (in addition to the straightforward way
>it is presented) and believe it would benefit Java if you/we can do the work
>needed to either feel comfortable with it, or to show that examples 5 and 10
>are important enough to warrant a more complicated model (particularly the
>excluded executions part).

SC- is short. However, I have been unable to develop any intuitive
feel for it nor confidence in the proofs.

The model that Jeremy and I have developed is longer, but I believe
that our model is more grounded in the ways that compilers and
architectures transform and execute programs. Thus, I believe it will
be easily to explain to people and I feel confident with the proofs.

Examples 5 and 10 bother me. I don't have hard proofs that they need
to be prohibited, but they seem to be the kind of behavior that only
a malicious compiler could produce.