RE: JavaMemoryModel: Way forward on JSR-133

From: Sarita Adve (sadve@cs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 17:49:35 EST

Bill and I have had a lot of off-line discussion on this and reached an
agreement (which may or may not be affected by the issue currently being
worked on). Here is a summary. Bill may want to add/correct if I
missed/misstated something:

It is true that there are no widely used formal specifications of LRC or
speculative loads. However, there are systems that run Treadmarks (the best
known embodiment of LRC) and systems that do speculation. We (or someone)
therefore have to prove that these systems are JMM compliant. As part of the
work on SC-, I have formalized systems that incorporate all such
optimizations and shown that SC- allows such systems.

A proof that M/P allows the above formalization would of course be one
possibility. It is, however, true that my formalization is non-trivial to
follow (which is not surprising, since it captures a large number of
systems). So it would be unfair, and wasn't my intention, to impose the
requirement of such a proof at this stage. My expectation was that there
could be simpler theorems that could be proven for M/P to cover the key
cases. Bill and I worked to find common ground for these theorems given what
was already proved, and I was getting more confident that M/P is covered on
this score. (I am not sure what the impact of yesterday's issue will be on
this.)

Sarita