Re: JavaMemoryModel: Draft version of JSR-133 public review document

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 14:10:05 EST

In looking at Joseph's suggestions, I realized that there was a
problem with the existing and proposed description of sleep. The
problem is that the existing and proposed text interacts badly with
NPT and currentTimeMillis(). The way it was written, if a thread
tried to sleep for ten seconds, and during that that period NTP
caused the clock to be rolled back one hour, the thread would sleep
for one hour. We would prefer for that not to happen, although we
can't guarantee it if we don't have access to a clock that is immune
to NTP changes.

I changed the spec to more closely follow the Javadoc: