Re: JavaMemoryModel: Reopen Case 18?

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 14:11:34 EST

On Feb 26, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Vijay Saraswat wrote:

> Slippery slope, and nothing to stop you.
>
> "false" is just a shorthand for something that may be too complicated
> to figure out is false.
>
> One of the things that is worrisome is that introducing this extra
> "irrelevant" code *prohibits* a behavior. That seems just wrong.

I don't believe the model should prohibit this behavior. With thread 3
in place (i.e., case 18a) the model should still allow r1 == r2 == r3
== 42.

Introducing additional irrelevant code may mean that a particular
compiler transformation won't allow the behavior. But that doesn't mean
that the behavior can't be or isn't allowed.