RE: JavaMemoryModel: Question about volatiles

From: Boehm, Hans (hans.boehm@hp.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 16:38:38 EST

[My earlier reply bounced due to mailer issues.]

To expand on this a little, according to http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jmm/cookbook.html
the only architecture described there on which you don't need a memory barrier
AFTER a volatile store to deal with this issue is PA-RISC.

On IA-64, in general you need to implement a store to a volatile field with

st.rel ...
mf

The "st.rel" is needed to ensure that prior memory operations become visible before
the volatile write; the "mf" is needed to ensure that later volatile reads (implemented
with "ld.acq" cannot move to before the "st.rel". The "mf" can be omitted if another
volatile write follows before the next volatile read.

On X86 for example, the fence is also needed (and on many implementations slower),
though Java implementations will probably use an ordinary store before it.

None of this should slow down existing code much,
since there doesn't seem to be much existing use of "volatile".
This was discussed in detail, but alternatives
were found to be too obscure to use correctly.

Hans