RE: JavaMemoryModel: Proposal on finalizers

From: David Holmes (dholmes@dltech.com.au)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 22:08:40 EDT

Sylvia Else wrote:
> It might be felt that his matter is outside the scope of a new
> Java memory
> model, but I'm not really sure how finalization got in either.

My neither. If it is truly the case that an object can become unreachable
and finalized whilst one of its methods is still executing, or could
execute, then it seems to me that this whole aspect of GC is fundamentally
broken. Any attempts at trying to "fix" anything via special JMM rules seems
both insufficient and inappropriate and somewhat futile.

David Holmes