JavaMemoryModel: Happy birthday JMM mailing list

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 12:37:46 EDT

I just missed the birthday.

The JMM mailing list was 5 years old as of Thursday, the 24th. Happy
Birthday.

To give everyone an update, there haven't been any substantial
technical changes
after the last tweaks to handle non-terminating executions and
observable actions.

For the past three weeks. Gilad has been working on converting the spec
into language
and format appropriate for a chapter of the JLS, which will be the
definitive and primary
end-product of JSR-133. I haven't seen any of his work, but the JLS
needs to be
absolutely complete by July 11th, so I suspect/hope I'll see something
soon. For
the most part, Gilad is just reformating the document and doing some
editing for
clarity and better grammar (unfortunately, Gilad says that kerflooey
isn't a technical
term, and we can't use it to describe what happens to the semantics of
final fields when
you allow other threads to see the object before it is fully
constructed).