Re: JavaMemoryModel: Reference on "Correctly synchronized programs are sequentially consistent"

From: Jeremy Manson (jmanson@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 13:14:54 EDT

Sarita's Weak Ordering paper is, I believe, the first mention of
sequential consistency for data race free programs. Others had
different criteria for ensuring sequential consistency:

@inproceedings{325100,
  author = {Sarita V. Adve and Mark D. Hill},
  title = {Weak ordering\—a new definition},
  booktitle = {Proceedings of the 17th annual international symposium on
Computer Architecture},
  year = {1990},
  isbn = {0-89791-366-3},
  pages = {2--14},
  location = {Seattle, Washington, United States},
}

There are several papers that state the new JMM will have this property.
  The first published one that comes to mind is Bill's and my paper in
CSJP last month:

Requirements for a Programming Language Memory Model. Jeremy Manson and
William Pugh. Workshop on Concurrency and Synchronization in Java
Programs, in association with PODC. July, 2004.

You can get that paper here:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/jmanson/java/testcases-csjp.pdf

The JSR itself also states this, as will my forthcoming dissertation.

                                        Jeremy