Re: JavaMemoryModel: Finalization idioms

From: Doug Lea (dl@cs.oswego.edu)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 15:00:20 EDT

> I think we really need keepAlive in the library. Perhaps java.lang.ref
> is a good place to put it. If you implement in the standard
> library, with suitable VM cooperation, it should be nearly free.
> .NET has GC.KeepAlive which I believe can be used for this purpose,
> though the primary motivation there seems to be different.

If anyone would like to put together a proposal for this, along
with a sample implementation sketch (or even better, sign up as
a Mustang contributor at http://java.net and help implement)
there's an audience for this sort of thing in the "miscellaneous but
important RFE" subgroup of the Mustang JSR, that I'm on, so I could help
push along.

-Doug