RE: JavaMemoryModel: RE: Question on memory models

From: Sarita Adve (sarita@ece.rice.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 23:41:37 EDT

Dan,

That's a very good point; I missed it. However, I'm not sure it justifies
throwing the hardware option off the table yet. The performance benefits of
the optimization aren't clear. I think one could safely defer invalidation
handling as long as the processor is hitting in cache anyway (although I
haven't done a formal proof of this yet). I am not sure how much the extra
flexibility of delaying until the MB will buy. Do you know of any
experimental data on this? Also, do you know of current machines that use
this?

Sarita