Re: JavaMemoryModel: Worries about JIT compilation and class loading on multiprocessors

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 17:30:08 EDT

> > Do people agree that something like this is required?
>
>I'm not sure. I think for processors which permit this much staleness,
>it's almost a prerequisite to have a working pool (for each processor?)
>of ``fresh'' memory which is guaranteed to not be in cache on other
>processors.

Let me rephase the question:

I believe that if a multiprocessor used the full freedom allowed by
the Alpha specification, that something like what I described would
be required.

However, it isn't clear if it would be required on any existing
multiprocessor. The spec may have a lot of headroom.

It may be required that concepts such as "fresh memory" get
incorporated into the specification, implementation and programming
model of future systems.