Re: JavaMemoryModel: proposal for semantics & implementation on relaxed memory model machines

From: Joshua Bloch (jbloch@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 03:11:39 EDT

    In re. Dan Scales, Sanjay Ghemawat and Raymie Stata's carefully
thought-out proposal, whether or not one thinks the lazy initialization
idioms are reasonable, it still strikes me as a *very* bad idea to permit
compromised Strings to float around. I strongly suspect -- In fact I
know -- that there are modules whose security is compromised if Strings
"behave badly." To me, this suggests that we may have no choice but to
solve the "initialization safety problem."

                          Josh

P.S. I realize that we pretty much agreed not to discuss this anymore, and
I do not want to start a flame-fest. Sorry if anyone considers this mail
out of line but I just want to remind people that "String-safety" may
eventually be decreed an absolute requirement by the powers that be.