Re: JavaMemoryModel: proposal for semantics & implementation on relaxed memory model machines

From: Joseph Bowbeer (jozart@csi.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 02:08:25 EDT

Doug Lea wrote:

> But a compromise might be reached from this direction as well. Rather
> than introducing a keyord that provides initialization safety as an
> option, how about introducing a qualifier for fields that disables
> this safety-first default. We could even hijack `transient'!

I think this option should be pursued. I guess you're joking about
transient, though, because it's already been hijacked by the
java.io.Serializable interface, and is used quite a lot in Beans and EJBs
and anything else that is serialized. I don't think the two uses coincide.
You'll have to hijack something else.

--
Joe Bowbeer