Re: JavaMemoryModel: Some odds and ends

From: Doug Lea (dl@altair.cs.oswego.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 24 1999 - 15:14:35 EDT

I suppose I should follow up on my flip remark:

> (One idea though is to somehow allow optional JVM modes that people
> could switch on that do global barriers on certain methods --
> sleep, AWT event dispatch, etc.)

Note that having such an "idiot mode" -- or more charitably "green
thread emulation mode" -- need not have anything to do with any
spec. Surely green threads behavior is legal wrt Bill's proposal.

I'm only a little embarassed to think that routinely adding such a
mode to JVMs would be a good idea. It is hard to fault people too much
for writing code that passed exhuastive tests on all existing JVMs as
of say 1997, but does not now that we understand how to exploit poorly
understood laguange rules (and to change these rules) to better
optimize code.

-Doug