RE: JavaMemoryModel: Question about _current_ semantics of start

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 12:53:48 EDT

At 11:03 AM -0500 6/12/00, Paul Jakubik wrote:
>Why is the only reasonable answer that both writes are visible?
>
>As long as the Java Threads are implemented over pthreads, then both writes
>should be visible since t2.start would probably call pthread_create or
>possible pthread_cond_signal. Both of these are supposed to have the
>behavior that you want.

But if compiler memory actions from before the call to start() to
after the call to start(), you are still screwed.

This point is important to mention because all of these memory model
issues involve the interaction of the compiler, native libraries and
processor architecture.

I'm hoping we are safe on this one. But we need to be careful about
what gets done in the compiler.