RE: JavaMemoryModel: Finalization, again

From: David Holmes (dholmes@dltech.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 21:19:05 EST

> It seems to be common to assume that an object is live as long as
> one of its methods is executing. I don't believe that's guaranteed to be
> true.

While a method of an object is executing, the current thread has a reference
to that object via the "this" reference. So from a language perspective I
would say that there is an implicit guarantee that an object is live while
one of its methods is executing - even if the method never explicitly
references "this".

An implementation that allows a live object (in the above sense) to be
finalized is broken IMHO. Would it also allow the live object to be
reclaimed? ;-)

David Holmes