Re: JavaMemoryModel: Mutually exclusive goals for Java memory model

From: Bill Pugh (pugh@cs.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 09:15:48 EDT

After talking with several people (Doug Lea, Josh Bloch), I have
tentatively decided to try supporting Goal 2 (making things easier
for people writing optimizing JVM), and not supporting Goal 1 (making
the existing StringBuffer and String code thread safe).

Of course, in order to do this, we must be able to do so without a
noticeable performance penalty. Disallowing the existing code will
mean that a copy of the character array will have to be made when a
StringBuffer is converted into a String.

There are three steps to this:

* Try the simple, naive fix and see what the performance impact is. Obviously,
   we will try both Spec JVM98 and Spec JBB. Any other suggestions? As we move
   further down the line, we will be trying some of Sun's internal benchmarks,
   but it would be nice to have some open benchmarks to start with.

* Look at introducing a new unsynchronized string buffer class and changing
   javac to use the new class (and a couple of other improvements, to do things
   like minimize the number of times the unsynchronized string buffer
is resized.
   Although it would effect only newly compiled code, I suspect we could get
   enough performance gains to overcome any loss from the copying.

* Investigate JVM transformations that, when a StringBuffer was thread local,
   could use the unsynchronized version and eliminate the copy of the
   character array.

We will be investigating all three of these. Anyone else who wants to
get involved, let us know.

        Bill